IN HONOR OF BLACK HISTORY MONTH 2015 Gilbert Academy

10991175_856959337685116_8221244812149265604_n 10986913_856959387685111_5033650701243448431_n

Gilbert Academy was originally established as a secondary school for students in the teacher training school at New Orleans College. Established in as Union Normal School by the Freedman’s Aid Society in 1868, New Orleans College provided private liberal arts education for African Americans. In addition to the teacher training school, New Orleans College included a school of pharmacy; a medical college; and a nurse’s training school. After facing financial troubles, New Orleans College merged with Strait University, also known as Straight College, in 1930. The newly-merged institutions were chartered as Dillard University. Gilbert Academy remained, and became a stand-alone private, college preparatory high school for New Orleans’ African American youth. The high school boasted a football field, along with multiple basketball and tennis courts; laboratories and clinics; an auditorium; and an expansive library. Students took courses from Biblical Literature to Black History, and were required to declare three majors and two minors. Gilbert Academy was also known for its Math and Science Exhibitions and its Music Department. In 1949, the Methodist Board of Education stopped funding Gilbert Academy, forcing it to close its doors

Advertisements